- Many Inventors are known for one main invention, but not Garret Morgan.
- Garret Morgan was the inventor of the traffic light and gas masks.
- Morgan was the son of former slaves and was born in Paris, Kentucky.
- His curiosity and innovation led to many inventions we still use today.
- Morgan witnessed a collision between an automobile and a horse-drawn carriage which lead Morgan to want to improve traffic safety.
- Morgan was the first to apply for and acquire a patent for a traffic light.
- He was granted the patent on November 20,1923
- Morgan then made national news for using a gas mass that he created to rescue several men trapped during an explosion.
- Morgan’s mask was later refined for use by U.S. Army during WWI in 1921.